Yoga is a spiritual science which means union. It is a scientific system of self-realization. There are different yoga poses to improve both physical balance and mental condition. To play a yoga pose appropriately, yoga blocks are very important. People use yoga blocks widely through over the world.
A yoga block is a rectangular shaped nice little helper. It is generally made of foam, cork or wood. There are different sizes of yoga blocks. Yoga blocks won’t be really helpful for you if you don’t know the way to use this. In this article, I will discuss “how to use yoga block.”
Why should you use yoga blocks?
Before using yoga blocks we should know the benefits of use blocks. There are lots of benefits of yoga blocks. Let’s gain some knowledge about the benefits of yoga blocks.
- Yoga blocks help to improve your yoga poses. All the yoga poses are not easy to play. In that case, yoga blocks help to play those poses properly.
- Yoga blocks are very useful for beginners. Yoga is way much tough for beginners. The beginners get extra benefits of yoga blocks.
- Yoga blocks reduce the distance between you and the ground. If the distance is long, the poses will be tougher. Reducing the distance it will help you play poses appropriately.
- Yoga blocks provide extra balance, especially in standing position. Different types of poses such as Half Moon Pose (Ardha Chandrasana), Wide-Legged Forward Bend (Prasarita Padottanasana) etc. are easier with yoga blocks.
- Yoga blocks also support your other body parts such as hips, knee, etc. It also helps to practice correct alignment.
How to use yoga blocks?
I have already mentioned, you will not get proper benefits of yoga if you cannot use the yoga blocks. Many of us aren’t aware of using yoga blocks. But we should know the proper way to use them. Here I am showing some effective ways there you can use a yoga block.
Downward facing dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
This is a great position to practice and improve your yoga. Let’s see how to practice this position.
- Place the block on the ground taking the shortest height between hands to the ground.
- Your point finger and thumb will be framing the block. Try to make an L shape placing the hand.
- Keep your hands on the block. Now perform downward facing dog as normal.
- Work on this posture regularly and notice if it helps to gain additional muscle or not.
Supine Heart Opener
This is a very effective yoga posture for hard-workers. You can start or end your yoga practicing this one.
- You need two yoga blocks for this position.
- Place the block horizontally down the back and line the block up with your would be bra strap. Boys imagine the approximate position.
- Rest your head on the first block. You can use any supportive alternate of yoga block if you have only one yoga block.
- Now, keep your shoulder meltdown towards the ground. Keeps your palm facing up.
- According to supta baddha konasana position (soles of the feet together & knees out wide) straight out your leg.
- Remain in this position as long as you feel better.
Hero Pose (Virasana)
This posture is a bit tough. But with proper technique, you can feel comfortable with this pose. This posture is good if you practice meditation.
- First, find a comfortable seat on the ground.
- Then fold your knee down your body and place your booty back over the heel.
- Place the block between right down the booty and 2 feet.
- Sit up tall straightening your spine. Keep length in the back of the neck, smoothly tuck chin, keep support to the low back and then smile.
Half Moon (Ardha Chandrasana)
This is a fundament posture for the yogis. Lest see how to play this posture.
- At first, choose which height is appropriate for your personal practice.
- Place your hand 6-12 inches in front of the standing foot. Keep it slightly to the corner of the mat.
- Now use the block that you can extend up and out of the shoulder. Keep in mind, don’t place whole the body weight on to your hand.
- Now keep lengthening your both side of the body smoothly rotating the hips open.
Forearm Balance (Pincha Mayurasana)
You need enough strength on your shoulder to play this posture. Let’s how you can play this posture using yoga blocks.
- Place the block on the ground taking the shortest height between hand to the ground.
- Now create an L shape wrapping the thumb and the pointer finger around the block.
- Now kick up your legs and stay connected to the block the whole time.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I practice Supine Heart Opener posture with one yoga block?
-It’s better to use two blocks. But you can practice it with one block. In that case, you need to find an alternative of yoga block just to place your head.
2. What will happen if I can’t use the blocks properly?
– Your yoga will be good for nothing. You will not get any improvement in physical or mental condition. Besides, wrong use of blocks may cause injuries.
3. Can I get hurt from yoga blocks?
– No. Yoga blocks are prepared with great care and good material. It won’t farm you.
4. Which yoga posture will be easy for the beginners?
– The downward facing dog posture will be easier for the beginners.
We know yoga blocks are very useful but only when we use it properly. In this article, I have discussed how to use yoga blocks properly. I want none of you to waste your time on wrong yoga postures. I have discussed 5 effective postures with yoga blocks. With image and steps, I have discussed the proper way.
Hopefully, you will understand the importance of using yoga blocks properly. And use it on proper the way that I have discussed. Thanks for reading the article